Regular Council Meeting March 9, 2015
CITY OF BACONTON
MINUTES OF REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
CITY HALL 6:00 P.M.
MARCH 09, 2015
PRESENT: Mayor: Ms. Annette Morman
Council: Ms. Jackie Graham
Ms. Betty Ritchie
Mr. Tim Pinson
Ms. Sabrina Thomas
Clerk: Sue Pate
Guest: David Forrester
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Annette Morman. Invocation was given by Mr. Tim Pinson and everyone stood for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Ms. Sabrina Thomas made a motion to approve the agenda; seconded by Mr. Tim Pinson and it was carried by unanimous vote.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:
Ms. Sabrina Thomas made a motion to approve the minutes of the February 23, 2015 meeting with corrections where needed; seconded by Mr. Tim Pinson and was carried by a unanimous vote.
Mr. Pinson stated he has not received any quotes yet for the tennis court. Hopes he will have some by the next council meeting. Mr. Pinson also spoke with the adjuster about the roof and the insurance would only give the city $2,300.00 and the deductible is $2,500.00. He also stated the adjuster told him that the complete roof did not need to be replaced. The part of the building facing Hwy 19 was in good shape. Mayor Morman asked Mr. Pinson to talk to A Plus and get an estimate to replace only what needs replacing.
Ms. Jackie Graham stated that there is a problem with dogs being loose. Mayor Morman stated she could call city hall and the dog catcher could come get the dogs or get the owners names and a letter would be sent to them. The city has an ordinance that states they have to be on a leash.
Mayor Morman presented her FYI’s to Council. They were as follows:
1. Meeting with Mr. Fuller held today March 9, at 3:00 pm.
2. Workman Comp. audit will be held here on March 11, 2015.
3. March 12, 2015 a lunch workshop at RDC on comprehensive planning. Jackie and Celeste will attend.
4. March 16, 2015 @ 10:00 a pre-Construction meeting will be held here for CDBG.
5. Mr. Ramsey from council on aging will host a meeting here at City Hall on March 25, 2015 from 10:00-12:00. This is in regards to Medicare and Medicaid.
6. Mr. Erwin here on March 5th and 6th, almost completed audit. I have to complete an 82 page questionnaire. He will email to me.
7. Boyd Construction was here on Saturday to clean treatment plant.
8. Mr. Robert Ramsey is getting quotes for bar part at treatment plant.
Mayor Morman then recognized Mr. David Forrester. Mr. Forrester is with the Baconton Volunteer Fire Department. Mr. Forrester wanted to bring the Mayor and Council up to date concerning the situation with the volunteer fire department. He stated the court date scheduled for last Wednesday (03/04/15) was canceled due to a conflict with the attorney. Mr. Forrester also stated that their attorney is telling him they will probably have to leave the current building they are in or tear it down. Mr. Forrester went on to say that the county had agreed to give the fire department $50,000.00 toward another facility. He then asked the Mayor if the city could match the funds being given by the county or increase the operational funds the city currently gives the fire department. The Mayor stated she and council would see what could be done to increase their operational funds. Mr. Forrester also said if the fire department closed that the Baconton resident’s insurance premiums would triple in cost. Mr. Forrester suggested the city buy the old glass contractors building instead of building a new community center. He stated that building would be perfect for the community center and the fire department together. Mr. Tommy Sewell suggested doing some type of fund raiser in an effort to raise money for the fire department.
Mayor Morman then recognized Mr. Anthony Morman. Mr. Morman wanted to let the Mayor and Council know about the following issues.
1. Materials are needed to repair the pot holes on Jackson St.
2. The pump at the lift station has gone out.
3. Jim Boyd Construction worked 10 hours cleaning the holding ponds and removed 98% of the duck weed.
4. Mr. Keaton is still working on roof.
5. The 930 mower needs to be replaced it is burning a lot of gas.
6. April the 9th there is a mosquito spraying class in Dublin.
7. The door on the shop needs to be replaced.
REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF BILLS:
Ms. Jackie Graham made the motion to approve bills; seconded by Ms. Sabrina Thomas and carried by a unanimous vote.
Ms. Jackie Graham made the motion to adjourn Council meeting at 6:50 p.m.; seconded by Ms. Betty Ritchie and carried by a unanimous vote.
ANNETTE MORMAN, MAYOR
SUE PATE, CITY CLERK